Japanese Language Division
Welcome to the web site for Japanese classes at the Florida State University.
Why take Japanese?
- Japan is America's fourth largest trading partner, just behind Canada, Mexico, and China.
- Japan has the second largest economy in the world! Open up business opportunities!
- Japanese speakers constitute the third largest language group on the internet.
- Knowing Japanese sets you apart from the rest of the crowd.
- It's easier than you think!
- Or just fill your language requirements with something fun and interesting!
Japanese Major Requirements:
The East Asian Languages & Culture Major Programs contain three different options for majoring in Japanese:
1. Japanese Language & Culture
2. Japanese with a Concentration in Business
3. Chinese and Japanese co-major
The Japanese Language & Culture major consists of twenty-four (24) hours of Japanese coursework numbered above JPN 2220 and six (6) semester hours from approved East Asian studies courses including courses in Chinese Literature and Culture. Of the twenty-four (24) hours of Japanese coursework, six (6) semester hours must derive from courses in Japanese Literarture and Culture, and at least six (6) semester hours must be taken from Japanese language courses at the 4000 level.
TOTAL: thirty (30) credit hours.
The major in Japanese with a Concentration in Business requires eighteen (18) semester hours of Japanese language coursework numbered above JPN 2220 and twenty-seven (27) semester hours of designated courses in the College of Business.
TOTAL: forty-five (45) credit hours
The Co-major in Chinese and Japanese requires sixteen (16) semester hours of Chinese language coursework numbered above CHI 2220, sixteen (16) semester hours of Japanese language coursework numbered above 2220, and nine (9) semester hours of coursework in Chinese and/ or Japanese Literature and Culture. Of the combined thirty-two (32) Chinese and Japanese language hours of coursework, at least three (3) semester hours must be taken from a 4000- level course in one language and six (6) semester hour from two 4000-level courses in the other language.
TOTAL: forty-one (41) credit hours
Below are some informational PDF files on the majors available that focus on the Japanese Language:
If these links do not load, please right click and select "Save target as," or "Save link as" for Firefox.