Welcome to the Spanish Basic Language Program! This program is home to the 1000 and 2000 level Spanish language courses at FSU. Whether you are taking Spanish as part of a language requirement, or pursuing a minor or major in Spanish, you will very likely be taking courses in our program.
The three-semester track is designed for students who have had either no formal, academic exposure to Spanish, or who have studied Spanish for less than one year at the high school level. In these cases, students should follow the course sequence below:
- SPN 1120 (Elementary Spanish I)
- SPN 1121 (Elementary Spanish II)
- SPN 2220 (Intermediate Spanish I)
Because many FSU undergraduates have had some academic exposure to Spanish, students who have taken 2 or more years of Spanish at the high school level must take the Spanish Placement Test to determine if they should be placed directly into SPN 1121 or SPN 2220. The Placement Test is free and may be taken Monday-Friday between 9a.m.-4 p.m. in University Center C, Suite 1200. Please note that students who place above the SPN 2220 level are exempt from the language requirement.
Additionally, the Spanish Basic Language Program offers SPN 2240 (Intermediate Spanish II), which counts towards both the minor and major in Spanish. This course emphasizes the communicative skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, and provides students with opportunities to expand their knowledge of Hispanic cultures.
Please note that native or heritage speakers of Spanish may not take courses in the Spanish Basic Language Program, but are encouraged to enroll in SPN 3350, Spanish for Heritage Speakers.
- SPN 1120. Elementary Spanish I (4). This course is the first of a three-semester sequence of courses for students with no prior knowledge of the Spanish language, either at the high-school or native-speaker level. The course emphasizes oral communication and grammatical expertise, as well as listening comprehension. Students will read short texts and write paragraphs and short compositions in Spanish. May not be taken concurrently with SPN 1121, 1124, and/or 2220. May not be taken by native speakers. Some sections may be computer-assisted.
- SPN 1121. Elementary Spanish II (4). Prerequisite: SPN 1120 or equivalent. The course emphasizes oral communication and grammatical expertise, as well as listening comprehension. Students will read short texts and poems and write compositions in Spanish. May not be taken by native speakers. May not be taken concurrently with SPN 1120, 1124, and/or 2220.
- SPN 2220. Intermediate Spanish (4). Prerequisite: SPN 1121 and SPN 1124 or equivalent. The course emphasizes oral communication and grammatical expertise, as well as listening comprehension. Students will read short stories, poems, and articles, and will write extended compositions and papers in Spanish. May not be taken concurrently with SPN 1120, 1121, and/or 1124. May not be taken by native speakers.
- SPN 2240. Intermediate Spanish II (3). Prerequisite: SPN 2220 or equivalent. This course completes the intermediate Spanish skills sequence and finishes the review of the grammar sequence begun in SPN 2220. Students deepen their functional skills in comprehending, speaking, reading, and writing Spanish and gain an overview of Hispanic culture in various countries. Not open to native or heritage speakers of Spanish.
Course Syllabi - are posted on the BlackBoard site for the respective course.