M&W 10:30-2:00 & by appointment
Professor Brandl (Ph.D. Florida State University) is a Teaching Professor of Spanish and Linguistics, and the Assistant Director of the Spanish Basic Language Program. She is deeply interested in Spanish heritage bilingualism. Her recent work focuses on heritage language maintenance via instruction, and language acquisition and processing in Spanish heritage speakers. She developed FSU’s Spanish Heritage Track, and the new courses for heritage speakers/learners, including the Spanish for Specific Purposes courses. She advises the Spanish Honor Society (Sigma Delta Pi) at Florida State University.
If you think you are a heritage speaker/learner but are not sure of it, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to asses your level of Spanish and answer any questions you may have about the Spanish Heritage Track.
Heritage Speaker Bilingualism
Spanish Heritage Language Instruction
Spanish Language Acquisition and Processing
Instructed Second Language Acquisition
Second Language Instruction
Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics
Spanish for Heritage Speakers I
Spanish Second Language Acquisition
Spanish Reading & Conversation
Spanish Grammar and Composition
Intermediate Spanish I & II
Elementary Spanish I & II
- Brandl, A., González, C., & Bustin, A. (2020). The Development of Intonation in L2 Spanish: A Perceptual Study. In Alfonso Morales-Front (Ed.), Hispanic Linguistics Symposium 2016. Amsterdam and New York: John Benjamins.
- Brandl, A., & Rodríguez, E. (2020). Spanish for the Professions: A Proposal for an Early Start that Includes Heritage Speakers. Hispania 103(1), 21-26. doi:10.1353/hpn.2020.0009.
- Rodríguez, E., & Brandl, A. (2019). Knowledge of tense, aspect and mood in heritage language speakers: The case of hybrid Spanish for business courses. In Florida Linguistics Papers, Proceedings of the Florida Yearly Linguistics Meeting (Eds.), vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 64-75. Open Journal Systems, University of Florida.
- Bailey, A. A. & Brandl, A. (2013). Incorporating pronunciation in the first-year Spanish classroom: An early intervention. In J. Levis & K. LeVelle (Eds.). Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching Conference Proceedings. Aug. 2012. (pp. 207-223). Ames, IA: Iowa State University.
- Brandl. A. (2013). Processing Strategies in Early Second Language Sentence Processing: A Cross Linguistic Study. Doctoral dissertation, Florida State University.
- Leeser, M. J., Brandl, A., & Weissglass, C. (2011). Task effects in second language sentence processing research. In P. Trofimovich & K. McDonough (eds.), Applying priming research to L2 teaching and learning: Insights from Psycholinguistics. (pp. 179–198). John Benjamins.
- Bailey, A. A., & Brandl, A. (2014). Starting with stops: Instruction on /p, t, k/ in the first-year Spanish classroom. IGNITE: CASPSLaP. http://ignite-caspslap-2014.weebly.com/starting-with-stops.html#.U6SC6JRdV8F